Monday, December 3, 2012

CSA-- Why you should try it!

It has been nearly a month since my last confession.  Shame on me. Now now, where to begin....



As you've seen in previous posts, Adam and I have tried our hand at gardening.  I haven't updated on that because I'm embarrassed to admit to the untimely demise of every single green seedling that sprouted.  The pumpkin plants got annihilated by insects.  The other veggies were having a tough go of it, too.  Adam bought some "organic" pesticide dust that definitely solved our bug problem.  No bug is going to hang out in a place with no food.  The garden no longer has tasty treats for the bugs (or us) because the pesticide killed everything.  Well, not everything.  There are 3 little brussel sprout plants still trying to survive.  That's it.  Really.  All those beautiful plants with such potential.  The blisters, sweat, and tears (and not to mention $$) that went into the construction of our new planter box was all for nothing.  Adam decided to try again and started the seeds indoors and I would venture to guess about 30% have lived.  They are now outside in solo cups and, so far, are bug free.  

One of Adam's friends gave us a few tomato plants that he started from seed and they are doing quite well, surprisingly.  Two are almost 4 ft tall and have flowers!  We also have basil, parsley, dill, and cilantro in the herb boxes that are surviving.  

Sadly, I have become apathetic to the whole project.  I will certainly eat and enjoy anything that comes from our pitiful little garden but I have come to the conclusion that another way to get my hands on the produce we wanted to grow ourselves is necessary.  

With a little research (and a suggestion from a coworker) I found something called a CSA. Community Supported Agriculture is basically becoming a member of a local farm in your area (usually it's a flat fee for a year membership) and signing up for boxes of produce that are grown at that particular farm.  Some CSA's have associations with other growers and have access to other products as well.  The farm that I decided to join is called Kai Kai Farm out of Indiantown, FL.  Diane, the owner, is this nice Canadian lady who uses organic-style practices. She grows carrots, beets, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, corn, lettuce, mustard green, collard, kale, spinach, snow peas, beans, tomatoes, squash, cukes, herbs, swiss chard, cabbage, kohlrabi, bok choy, eggplant, radish, daikon, strawberries, onions, peppers, and watermelon.  Just to name a few! ;)  Everything is grown on her land and fresh picked the day before. 

I signed up for the plan that included 8 small boxes that I can order with 7 days advanced notice.  PLUS, it is delivered right to my door!  (If you don't live between Palm City and Palm Beach Gardens you can stop by her farm or her booth at the PBG green market!)  We have received two boxes so far.  They have been stuffed full of awesome veggies!  The first box was full of mixed greens for salads and a whole head of bibb lettuce.  Broccoli rob, green beans, purple scallions, zucchini, cilantro, baby bok choy, sweet peppers and so many more treasures I can't remember.  This past Thursday our second box came.  This one has a variety of lettuces, heirloom carrots that are all different colors (SO COOL!), more scallions, 4 different types of squash (including one we had to google to figure out what it was!), cucumber, the sweetest little orange, yellow, and red grape tomatoes, a purple and a green bell pepper, dill, what she labeled as vitamin greens, more broccoli, and a beautiful eggplant.  Everything is so freshpicked that you have to wash a load of dirt off the heads of lettuce and they keep in the fridge so much longer then store bought vegetables.  

The food tastes better, there is minimal carbon foot print, and I am so proud to support my local farmers!

While researching this CSA concept I did the math on my grocery bill.  On an average week I spend about $120 at Publix.  Approximately $30 of that is produce.  Clearly we eat a lot of fruits and veggies in this house.  The price of a small box from my friendly neighborhood farm costs $23 plus $5 for delivery.  In case you are as math challenged as I am, that ends up being two weeks worth of produce for the price of one.  The boxes do have about two weeks worth of veggies in them.  However, because no fruit is included (so far, anyway) I have to suppliment somewhat at my local fruit stand.  Also, the boys aren't into most veggies so I have to get boring stuff for them on their weekends.  Still, the cost breaks about even and I'm tickled pink with the whole experience!

Want more information about CSA opportunities in your area?  I found Kai Kai Farm on http://www.localharvest.org/.  She doesn't have her own site yet but she does answer emails: diane@kaikaifarm.com. For all you semi-locals out there, you should check out the Palm Beach Gardens Green Market Sundays from 8-1.  Quite frankly it is the coolest local green market I've ever been to.  It's like a smaller version of the Winter Park Green Market.

So, the take home messages everyone:


  • Adam and I are crappy farmers 
  • CSA---Try it! Most have trial boxes so you can see if it works for you 
  • PBG Green Market--- Go this weekend!
Ok, BYEEEEEE!

No comments:

Post a Comment