Saturday, December 31, 2016

Wrapping up 2016

This has been one of the most mentally challenging years of my life.  Over two years ago I decided to pursue PA school and this year was the worst of it.  
I took some of the most labor intensive prerequisite courses while navigating the CASPA and the supplemental applications for 9 different schools.  I worked full time and took call throughout the process.  I messed up all my coworker's work schedules to accommodate my class schedule each semester. I traveled for three different school interviews, and only took 6 personal days off all year (for my yearly pilgrimage to NJ over the summer).

There were points when I didn't think I could handle another minute of the stress.  I screamed and lashed out at those unfortunate enough to be around during my meltdowns.  My stress level wreaked havoc on my personal life to the point where I hurt many of those around me who wanted nothing more than to support me.  To those who stuck around, thank you so much for tolerating my obnoxious behavior over the past couple years.

I poured blood, sweat, money, and tears into this goal of mine.  I doggedly pursued it to the bitter end and much to my surprise I got exactly what I wanted.  I got into my top pick school.  I have always been a dedicated person.  I set goals and I work toward achieving them with failure never being an option.  This time though, I felt like it was such a long shot, like I had chosen something I couldn't control enough to be successful.  But here I am.  The acceptance letter in my hand and a smile on my face.  

Thank you everyone for your support in my moments of weakness and for buoying me when I started to sink into cynicism.  Thank you to the people who wrote me stellar letters of recommendation and to those who gave me insight into the interview process.  Thank you to my coworkers for being so flexible with your schedules and for covering my shifts while I went on my interviews.  And most of all thank you for celebrating my success with me.  I was shocked and overwhelmed by the outpouring of congratulations.  It seemed like everyone was with me during this journey and felt the same excitement I did when I got the good news from UF.

This year I also lost my precious Bella kitty after 12 great years of snuggles and sneezes.  I still miss her daily but from her loss came light in the shape of the most perfect little dog I could ask for.  Remington is literally the doggy version of me.  He doesn't like changes in his routine, he's wary of most children, the only people food he eats are processed meat products and carbs and he's slow to warm up to strangers.  He makes me smile and gives the best snuggles.  I may have rescued him, but he rescued me from my all work and no play mentality.  I can't picture my life without him now.

Although this year has quite possibly taken years off my lifespan, it was worth every second.  Victory is sweet.  And planning for my future is even sweeter.

Go gators!  See you in the swamp!

No comments:

Post a Comment