Sunday, September 25, 2016

Final Week 9/11-9/18

This final week post is a week late.  This challenge really kicked my ass and I think I've learned a lot because of that.  I will keep writing, but it will nice to write just to write, and not because I have set some stupid arbitrary goal for myself.  So, the take home message is this:  Attacking creativity in my usual militant goal-oriented way doesn't lead to success.  I can't treat my writing like I treat my to-do list.  I can't sit down and fit it in between laundry and school stuff.  I have to make it a priority to write when I feel inspired instead of trying to schedule it in when I think I have time.

Without further ado, the last installment of this godforsaken challenge:




9/13

We are all damaged.  We can't get to this age without life leaving its mark.  The problem is we willingly expose ourselves to situations that leave even deeper scars.  It's like we think we deserve the pain and anguish.  Well here is a news flash: We deserve better than that.  More pain now doesn't equal more happiness later.  We need to seek out people that push us to be better.  People who encourage us and expose us to new and enlightening experiences.  Better yet, let's pave our own way.  It is our life's work to find the stepping stones that lead us to our happy place.  Let's find it and live there instead of in the squalor we've let our life become.


9/15

I can't look you in the eye anymore.  I don't want you to see how hurt I am.  It is easier to pretend that you never mattered than to expose the pain you caused.  Everyday gets a little easier.  The experience becomes more of a memory and I will eventually tuck it away into a box under my bed. 


9/17

Why do some relationships feel effortless and others so difficult?  Which one is real, better, more meaningful?  There are two schools of thought:  You have the media that sells you books and movies where love is instantaneous and easy and you will always know when a person is the "right" one.  Then you have the people who believe that anything that's worth a damn requires work and dedication.  So which is it?  How much work and effort do you put in before you can justifiably admit defeat?  


9/18

Every encounter you have is an opportunity to learn. I have realized over the years that everyone you meet has something to offer you. They don't have to do anything but be themselves and you can learn so much. I am a stress case and I fixate on responsibilities and lose sight of the restorative nature of fun. I have someone in my life who is much the opposite. He is spontaneous, fun and the ultimate dreamer. He gets lost inside his ideas and has trouble focusing on the steps necessary to make himself successful. So, with our opposing perspectives we have the opportunity to help each other grow. I can help him organize his thoughts and light the fire under his ass to get the tedious aspects of forward progress done. He can pull me away from my day to day to make sure I am taking the time out for happy pursuits.  We all have our strengths and weaknesses. So often we overlook what we have to offer each other. We forget that even the smallest gesture or mundane sentiment can positively alter someone's day. Take a second out of your day to shoot someone a text to let them know you're thinking of them. Stop and help that person who has dropped an armful of papers all over the floor. Call your mom and tell her you love her. A few moments out of your day will be the highlight of someone else's. 



No comments:

Post a Comment