Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Poo-Free Challenge Week 2 Update


6/20/12 – It seems as though all the product has finally washed out but I used extra shampoo to do it. My poor hair is the texture of straw! I am going to make a new batch with ½ tbs of baking soda instead to see if my hair will be less dry.


6/23/12 – My hair was super greasy today.  Overcompensating for the baking soda overload no doubt.  I used the new shampoo and conditioner combination. Using half the amount of baking soda definitely didn't do the job. I made a new full strength batch and tried again. Still didn't come clean but I'm giving up on it for now.

6/25/12 – My hair was unbelievably in need of a wash. Came out cleaner then last time but I must be entering the greasy over-correction stage of the poo-free process because it still seems greasier then it should be right after washing it.  My scalp is also itching like crazy and flaking something fierce.  Sounds gross, huh?

Overall, I was impressed the first week but grossed out the second.  My hair texture was really nice in week one but I have been completely disappointed with week two.  I know from the research I've done that this over-oil-production thing is part of the process but it doesn't make it any easier to go through, especially since I haven't had oily hair since my puberty years.  My itchy scalp is just as bad as it's always been.  No dark colored shirts for me for a while.  Snow covered shoulders are NOT attractive.  I'm hoping both problems clear up over the next two weeks.

I'm guessing this would be the point at which most people would give up on the challenge.  I would be lying if I said I wasn't tempted to cave in and use real shampoo after the grease-fest my hair has been over the past week.  Good thing I'm too stubborn to be a quitter!  

So, what do us "Type A" people do when faced with a challenge?! We make a list of goals, of course! 


Week 3 - P.O.A. (Plan of Action)

  • Go longer between washings
  • Try not to wash out vinegar mixture
  • Try to wear hair down in order to gauge texture more effectively
  • Post texture/grease level updates on non-wash days as well
Now, I can not only check off things on my P.O.A. list and feel accomplished, but I can also feel as if I'm taking an active role in solving the problem! Ta Da!  I feel better about my yucky hair already!

And... just because I'm feeling techie if you want another week two perspective check out this link!

No comments:

Post a Comment