Sunday, October 13, 2013

Mel Smells 2 week update

Every time I transition from a store bought version of something to a homemade version of something there is always a period of missing the convenience of the ready-made stuff.  That's pretty much the story with these first two weeks of using my homemade deodorant.

Here are the issues: 
  • Application was messy - The consistency of the homemade stuff was almost soupy up until the beginning of this week.  It would separate and I was forced to stir the coconut oil back into the rest of the ingredients in order to apply and even then, it dripped and dribbled all over the place.  I have no idea what changed, but suddenly when I opened the jar it was this perfect paste consistency which has made the whole application process a breeze in comparison.
  • It leaves you feeling gritty - The recipe contains baking soda, so obviously the deodorant has a certain grittiness to it.  What I wasn't expecting was that it would bother me.  I've played around with quantity when applying and seem to have mitigated most of this issue.
  • Itchyyyyyyyyyy - No matter what I do, I always feel itchy after I apply.  It isn't something that goes away either.  I feel like I'm clawing my armpits in my sleep most nights.  I thought maybe it was the fact that I had just shaved my armpits a few hours before I applied the first time.  The next night's application left me feeling the same way, even though I didn't shave.  In fact, I just applied not 10 minutes ago (sans shaving beforehand) and have used my shirt to rub my left armpit at least twice.  For some reason it seems to only irritate my left one.  Weird, but true.  It isn't enough to make me quit but I am really hoping to find a solution to this problem so I can continue in comfort.  On the plus side I see no visible evidence of irritation (from my scratching or the deodorant) and by morning I don't notice it anymore.
Let's just focus on the positives:
  • NO MORE SMELLY MELLIE!! - I have run 2 miles, labored in the yard, sweat in my sleep and have yet to notice an odor any worse the what would creep through my store bought stuff.  Adam hasn't noticed any smell at all.
  • No need for multiple applications - I always apply before bed and have never felt it was necessary to reapply in the morning. 
  • No increase in perspiration - Despite the lack of aluminum I have noticed no increase in the amount of sweat my armpits produce.  Good deal!
So, overall, I'm pretty impressed and satisfied with this homemade deodorant.  There are definitely some kinks to work out (and possibly some alternative recipes to try) but I am pretty much sold on the idea of never using store bought deodorant again.  Adam finds the scent of this stuff amusing.  He says I smell like a tropical island because of the coconut and citrus mixture.  It makes me chuckle.  I figure there are worse things to be associated with because of your odor... like a landfill or a lawn maintenance worker.  I'm happy with tropical!

No comments:

Post a Comment