Friday, August 19, 2016

The Right to Write

Writing is something that I never thought I was good at.  I had this dick of an English teacher my Junior year of high school who gave me a complex.  He refused to give me an A on any paper I wrote no matter how hard I worked on it.  His response was always the same, "You can do better than this!"  At the time I thought I was trying my hardest and that he was being an asshole.  He wouldn't sign me up for his AP class the following year because he felt I wasn't ready and that I wouldn't do well enough.  

For those of you that know me well, you know that I wasn't about to accept that.  No one was going to tell me that I wasn't smart enough to accomplish something I wanted to do.  I don't know if I became a better writer in spite of him or if he was right all along and I just hadn't found my voice yet.  Either way, I was repeatedly praised for my writing through college.  I have no idea what I was doing differently, but I was grateful that the stigma I had placed on myself was lifted.

My desire to write is fairly constant, but I rarely make the time to do it.  Between school and work it is hard to find the time or the energy to sit down and get my thoughts out on paper.  Sometimes I am overwhelmed by the flow of ideas and I have no choice but to get them out.  It's happened periodically over the last year and after some recent encouragement and positive feedback by people I admire, I am making writing a priority.

So.... I'm turning this into another 30 day challenge!  For the next 30 days I am going to write a little bit everyday.  It doesn't have to be profound.  I'm not going to start in on that novel I plan on writing some day.  All I want to do is hone my voice and practice writing.  I want to incorporate writing into my daily routine until it becomes another healthy habit just like exercise.  My timing isn't the best because a new semester of classes start next week. Not to worry though, I'm a determined kinda girl.

Here's the deal:
I am going to more than likely hand write most of my musings.  This means that odds are I will not be posting my writing daily.  I hope to blog once a week minimum, but I want to try for twice if possible.  There is a possibility that some of the things I write will be too private to post.  I don't want to censor myself so there may be times where I don't share all or any of what I wrote that day.  Rest assured though, if I don't write on any given day I will own up to my failure.  I take these challenges seriously and don't anticipate an issue, but life happens.  

So prepare yourselves, ladies and gentlemen, for another fun challenge!

It starts now!
Stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment