Thursday, August 30, 2012

Week 1 Oily Face Challenge


This weeks oil formulation was:  1/3 castor oil, 2/3 apricot kernel oil
(Approximately 1/2 TB per cleansing)




Supplies:
Timer
Wash cloths (in my case lap sponges)
Formulated Oils--I eyeballed the 1/3, 2/3 ratio when filling this little bottle so I wouldn't have to mix every night



I rinsed my face with warm water in the AM and "washed" using the oil cleansing method at night.


Day 1 (8/23) - Didn't really feel as though the wash cloth was enough to remove the oil.  Still felt greasy after repeated wiping.  I showered right after "washing" my face and now that all the oil is rinsed away my skin feels rather dry.  Usually my forehead ends up shiny after I wash my face but with this method it didn't.  It will be interesting to see how my face turns out looking in the morning.

Day 2 (8/24) - My skin wasn't greasy at all in the AM!!  I splashed some water on my face to wipe off the drool and eye booger crusties and I was good to go!  First time using oil as makeup remover.  It didn't burn my eyes but it took some rubbing to get all the mascara off.  I'm sure I will get the hang of it.  It took a lot of wash cloth rubbing to feel like I got all the oil off.  I think I need better wash cloths because right now I'm using lap sponges (from work, unused I promise!) and they don't seem to be doing the trick.

Day 3 (8/25) - Still struggling to wipe clean.  My skin feels soft but I'd imagine with how much I'm rubbing it to get the oil off that it's more exfoliated then it's ever been!

Day 4 (8/26) - I seem to be getting the hang of it, finally.  Pretty time consuming, though.  I wish I could figure out how to keep the oil off my hairline so it doesn't make my hair look greasy...

Day 5 (8/27) - Tried a microfiber towel and it was infinitely easier to wipe away the oil!  Yay! Progress!  Showering and washing my hair afterwards is ideal, too!

Day 6 (8/28) - Still in love with the microfiber cloths.  I wish I didn't have to sit there and massage for a whole 2 minutes.  Feels like foreverrrrrr!

Day 7 (8/29) - I woke up with two small blemishes.  One on each cheek, right where my surgical mask sits.  Coincidence? I think not!  This is right around the time my face has a hormonal meltdown anyway, so I can definitely handle two little spots over the usual situation. I ran out of clean microfiber cloths so I had to use a lap again.  I might actually start switching off every other night between microfiber and laps because the laps require extra wiping and because of that it leaves my skin feeling more exfoliated then the microfiber does.



Week 1 Conclusions:

This method, while not as unbearable an experience as the poo-free challenge (at least not yet), is time consuming and messy.  Oil ends up dripping down my arms and all over the bathroom counter.  I have a bunch of dirty wash cloths to contend with by the end of the week, too.  As of now, I am happy with the texture and oil level of my skin but I'm not convinced this is the be-all end-all face wash routine.  We'll see.... 3 weeks to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment